Friday, July 19, 2013

Notting Hill, London


Thoughts

The first time I found myself in the middle of the decorations for the romantic Notting Hill starring Hugh Grant and Roberts was last year after one of the most horrifying days at work. It was raining and the only thing I wanted more than to die was to ... eat. I landed in a cozy Le pain quotidien. I was clueless how could such an empty dark be place look so cute on screen. I thought I should give it a shot almost half a year later when I found myself in London once again. It was worth it. I was on a quest for an old edition of Proust's Screenplay, going in to every antique shop I saw. The area is super pretty at daytime, with little vintage and souvenir shops, cafes and flower kiosks. It also gradually takes the lazy walkers straight to my most favorite Portobello Road.

History

Portobello Road is an area close to Kensington and Chelsea, that is most famous for two things - Portobello Road market and the annual Notting Hill Carnival. The area never used to be fashionable up until the 1980s. Due to cheap rent only half a century ago it was mostly populated by Caribbean immigrants. It was traditionally associated with "alternative" cultures and home to artsy people that didn't quite fit into the society. In the nineteenth century the area near Pottery Lane was well-known for producing tiles and bricks made of clay that is found in the area. Starting 1820's James Ladbroke who's family owned most of Notting Hill started working together with architect Thomas Allason, in the effort to reconstruct the area and turn it into a fashionable part of town. Shortly after the upper-middle class started moving into the houses, leaving the richest in Mayfair and Belgravia. The colorful cozy houses were soon to become their new favorite shelter. Notting Hill appears in the opening chapter of the Forsyte Saga (John Galsworthy), serving as home for Nicholas Forsytes "in Ladbroke Grove, a spacious abode and a great bargain."














No comments:

Post a Comment